Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2023.
Did you make New Year Resolutions? Are you feeling pressure to keep your self accountable this year? We have compiled a few tips to keep your goals in your grasp as we start the new year.
Make a SMART goal by keeping your resolution Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Timely
- Specific – Being very clear on your intentions helps guide you on your path (i.e I will save $30 a week by packing my lunch/not eating out or I will go to the gym Mon Wed Fri to achieve my fitness goal)
- Measurable – Writing down your progress helps you measure and reflect on what is going on with your new habit. (i.e. My savings goal was short this week due to a friend’s lunch invite but I intend to make up that shortfall next week by skipping my morning coffee at the drive thru)
- Attainable – Having grand plans seems great but setting ourselves up for failure just makes us frustrated when we don’t achieve our goal. (i.e. 1-2 pounds a week is a healthy rate to shed those extra holiday pounds, so don’t set your goal as loose 10 pounds in 2 weeks)
- Relevant – This means your goal must be tied to your values and ambitions. (i.e. if you know you are not a morning person, setting your workout time too early can be counter productive to your lifestyle)
- Timely – A timely goal has a target date so you have something to work towards. (i.e. when will you hit your financial goal at the rate you have set to save? “My savings account will be up to $360 in 12 weeks and that will replenish my savings from Christmas spending)
Use an app or the buddy system to help keep you accountable. There are apps such as “Couch to 5k” that help you get into a fitness routine at any level. Also goal setting apps like “Strides, or Productive” may help you keep track of your progress. When enlisting the help of a friend make sure you set up “check-in’s” because we all know life gets busy and it can be a challenge to stick with and new habit
Celebrate your small success!! Setting check in’s with yourself to see your goals become a reality. After a successful week of consistent progress treat yourself to a fancy latte or a good book. This helps keep us motivated and making small progress leads to bigger milestones